Do you believe in healing….not just any kind of healing, but in the healing power of the Son of God?
~”And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”~Mark 16:17-18, New International Version~
The Son of God is Jesus Christ. During His years of ministry on the earth, He performed many, MANY miracles on the sick so that they could get well. But, the question is this: How can a person, who is fighting mental illness, say that the healing power of Jesus Christ has come upon them?
This is a question that I will do my best to answer as it pertains to the glory of God as well as the battle (which is real) I face surrounding mental illness.
I fight against Bi-Polar Disorder. This is a battle that I have to fight EVERYDAY. Even though it looks like I am surrounded by a mental illness, I am REALLY surrounded by God the Father and His songs of deliverance are my portion. God’s songs of deliverance are your portion too, dear youth.
~”You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance. Selah”~Psalm 32:7, English Standard Version~
Many environmental factors caused me to develop this illness over the years, such as the divorce of my parents, having an unstable childhood, and other factors. I do not wish what I have had to go through on any child or teen, but do want to offer encouragement to those who are fighting mental illness:
- Find a hobby. For me, that hobby was ballroom dancing. My friend from church got me into ballroom dancing and I use this gift and talent to glorify God. ~”So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”~1 Corinthians 10:31, New Living Translation~
- Listen to Worship music. Worship music soothes the soul. I ride the MARTA bus on my way to work every morning and on my way to work, I put my ear buds in my ears and listen to Michael W. Smith, Tori Kelly, Hillsong United, and other Christian singers and bands that I find to be uplifting to my soul. It is a great way to get the day started as well as encourage me!
- Pray. ~”Never stop praying.”~1 Thessalonians 5:17, New Living Translation~ It is easier said than done, but pray. Form a prayer closet too, if you wish. I watched the movie, War Room, and was inspired by one of the characters in the movie to make my own prayer closet. I use a saree bottom ( bottom of an Indian dress), as the anointed place that I sit in order to pray. I even listen to worship music as I pray or if I need peace and quiet, I pray in the quiet.
- Find a Church for support. I go to church and ask my Sunday School class to pray for me. The purpose of a church, Sunday School, or Small Group is to have that support as you are going through tough times and issues, then they can assist you through prayer or another need that you are asking.
- Journal Letters to God. I LOVE to journal. It is therapeutic and it is a good way to express your feelings and heart to God in a way that glorifies Him and petitions your requests and prayers to Him.
I hope these tips help you in the battle against mental illness and point you ultimately to God the Father. God bless you, dear youth!